Thursday, May 20, 2010

The pRoBLeM With a romantic

A romantic is moved
but is a bit removed
a romantic is loving
but is often longing
a romantic pursues
but often peruses

A romantic likes happy endings
but doesn't like them, depending...
a romantic like things close at hand
but becomes distant at the wave of a wand

Cynicism, (the romantic's alterego)
may take the throne
but then is soon overthrown
the romantic blooms again
but a bit overblown
and shrinks back to earth
and is once again alone

The seeds are always there
and the cycle continues
with blindness to the past
and unrestrained hopefulness
about a future much less hopeless

5 comments:

  1. Nice Jon. I had to look up a few words, lol, but I can follow the general idea. maybe you should start writing lyrics too. Almost have finished one of my own, still working on the ones I've told you about.
    How come I do not get a message that you've added something new to your blog? I thought that was what a subscription was about?
    ciao, alfie

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure why it doesn't work. Use the orange RSS icon on your IE toolbar. That should get you linked to the blog. "Follow" is something I'm not familiar with
    I write now and again for fun. Most of the time it's to an express an undercurrent of humor. I think only Cole Porter can make songs like that:) Any good luck with your song Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, not sure I understand what you mean but I'll try. Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I know what you mean about the writing although with me, as you know, it is something that just needs to get out, whether it is good or not, so. Not sure yet whether I will try to write the melody or shall ask someone to do that for me.
    Thanks again, take care.
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jon, it's Julie from Hunter College. Your music sounds sophisticated and musky, like that. Nice poem,too, that captures the paradoxes of romance lyrically. I could imagine Suzanne Vega putting your words to music.

    I hope you are well. Besides the back pain, you seem to have created a rich and meaningful life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie from Hunter College:) What has it been, 30 years? yikes.

    Well I think my life has been interesting. Not sure if I've done what all things I could but there are things that I've done that other people appreciate and I'm ok with that

    Best
    jon

    ReplyDelete